Will Work For Books

A blog of life, books and food...

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Celebrity Sighting

I only work in the bookstore for a couple of hours a week. You would think that would mean that life there would be fairly uneventful and boring with nothing to write about. But, no. Who walks in, practically when the store opens, but Tommy Chong of Cheech and Chong. And he stayed for over an hour it seemed, sitting and reading in our humble black leather chairs.

Actually, to be honest, I didn't even notice him. My manager, of the"is he even 21?", sees him and points him out to me. How sad is that? Why sad? I have actually seen some of the Cheech and Chong movies, granted when I was a child. And I didn't notice him. Well, I should say that it could be George Clooney and I wouldn't notice. Oblivious should be my middle name sometimes. After all, as I mentioned before, I AM in a bookstore, my own version of crack. What else is there?

Chong is here in San Jose doing comedy at the Improv. I wouldn't be surprised if he was staying at the Fairmont as that's across the street from the bookstore. Makes sense. The nice thing is he took time earlier , this week?, to stop by and sign some of his books.

Now that I think about it, I am surrounded by celebrities. I was in a restaurant at the same time as Brian Boitano (if I have to explain who he is, it still won't matter to you) a few weeks ago. And a few weeks before that I saw The Rock in front of the Camera Cinemas. I just happened to be walking by and there was this crowd and just as I stepped up to see what was going on, The Rock stepped out of a SUV limousine. I think it must have been for a premiere of The Grid Iron Gang, his newest movie. Yes, I do have a lame picture of him on my mobile. And yes, you can't even barely tell that its him.

I have a new book to read by Charlaine Harris...Grave Surprise. Its the second of her series on a woman who was struck by lightening and can now talk to the dead. I love Charlaine Harris and I am hoping, HOPING that this will break the run of bad books that I have been reading lately. I am also reading My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding with short stories by Charlaine Harris and Jim Butcher to name just a few. I really, really need to start reading Jim Butcher. He has to be good, right? After all he has his very own convention. How many other writers have that? None that I can name. Not even Nora Roberts has her very own convention and if someone were to have their own convention besides Jim Butcher, it should be her just by the very nature of her fruitful production of books and popularity.

To get back to Jim Butcher, the short story was cute and intriguing. I will put him on my list of books to read.

And speaking of books to read, next up to read is The Innocent Man by John Grisham. I used to automatically pick up a John Grisham and then it became...well, formulaic? But this newest one is nonfiction. I read about it in my Entertainment Weekly Magazine. Stephen King sometimes writes the column on the last page of the magazine and as soon as I get the magazine I turn to the last page, hoping that it will be him writing instead of the Pop Culture Quiz. I was rewarded one week with Stephen ranting about that Nancy Grace on CNN who interviewed this woman whose son was missing. The woman, the one whose son was missing, later killed herself and they still showed the interview on CNN. Stephen King was not happy about Nancy Grace (understatement) and mentioned that John Grisham couldn't stand to watch the woman. That's enough for me to avoid CNN altogether. But it was in that article that Stephen King mentioned John Grisham's newest book, a nonfiction book of a man who had been wrongly convicted. So, I will be reading that. Probably my one non-fiction for the year. Laugh.

Now that I think about it, what was the last non-fiction I read? I need to keep better track of the books I read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home