Will Work For Books

A blog of life, books and food...

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Tetrising...Is that even a word?

Having worked in a mega bookstore before this much smaller store creates a mixture of feelings. Sometimes I am glad NOT to be working there anymore (you have to clean up after that many more people) and other times, like now, I miss it, seriously miss it. In the mega bookstore I never had to do a practice called Tetrising. That's where there are so many books on one shelf and you can't fit anymore on so you hopefully have room on the next shelf so you move them down to make room for the books you need to stock.

This store is normally about 50% tetrising, but the warehouse has exploded and sent us box after box after box. The entire back room is boxes filled with books. We had no room before these boxes came. We have no room now and I am so glad that I don't have to work until Sunday again. The books will probably have been put away or have something planned for them by the time I get in. Having worked there for a couple of months now, I can safely say I HATE tetrising. It makes putting the books away no fun whatsoever.

Then one of my coworkers made the comment that it just seems to be a waste of money really. They send us all these books that we have no hope of putting away and come the end of the month we will have to do returns, and ship them all back. Serious waste of money. How can this be a viable business practice?

I am also happy to say the Charlaine Harris has broken the run of bad reading. DIdn't want to put down her book, in fact I literally fell asleep many a time trying to finish up reading her book, knowing I was too tired to read but didn't want to stop. Grave Surprise was great.

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding is okay. The short stories are so, so short, you can't connect with the characters too much. I think maybe they assumed you would have read the author's previous books and therefore it would be easier to understand all the lingo and backgrounds. I do like short stories normally though, as they are a way to check out new authors without the commitment of a full book. I can see the headline now "Short Stories: Books for the Commitment Phobe!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home