Will Work For Books

A blog of life, books and food...

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Jose, CA, United States

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Best So Far...

I can't believe it has been so long since I actually wrote about the books that I am reading and that I like. There have been quite a few and I won't remember them all sadly enough.

I started reading the Nora Roberts' Wedding Quartet series after borrowing the first "Vision in White" from a friend and then I was lucky enough to read the arc "Bed of Roses" and I have to say "Bed of Roses" was even more satisfying than the first book of the series and that's saying something since I thoroughly enjoyed "Vision in White". And, man oh man, are the covers gorgeous or what? Makes me want to see what the third and fourth books look like. Anyhow, I digress, as usual, sheesh. What I meant to say is that "Bed of Roses" was satisfying because the male love interest screws up royally and when he asks a friend what to do, he is told to crawl. Yep, crawl. Which I must say he does beautfully. Gotta love it when the hero crawls to the heroine. Mmmmmmm.

Then, of course, the lovely Lisa Kleypas came out with "Tempt me at Twilight". Another attractive plot line is when the hero falls instantly in love with the heroine and goes full-steam after his desire, and nothing can stop him. Lisa wrote a quick, lovely novel that I couldn't put down once I picked it up, which luckily I had started early enough to finish before midnight. I say luckily as it was a Tuesday evening, and, dear God!, it would make WAY TOO MUCH SENSE to have books released on a Friday or Saturday! Can't have the book industry making sense though; that would just freak us out.

Oh. Wow. Digressed again. Sorry.

Anyhow, the one real surprise in the bunch is (and I say this because this is a completely new writer for me) "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKensie." It is an amazing story about a hero who may or may not have Asperger's Syndrome. It never outright says that (its a historical and I'm sure they didn't know about such things then...you were just insane) but that's how it comes across. Again, its that lovely theme where the hero instantly falls in love, okay lust, with the heroine and off he goes a-chasing. Loved, loved, loved this book and my book club loved it as well. Can't wait to see what Jennifer comes up with next. Definitely check this book out if you want to sigh after reading.

And I do have one non-romance to add. While I was returning from camping (first year I didn't have to drive! Woo Hoo!) I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. This book was recommended to me by the ex-Hippie (okay, are they ever ex-hippies?)high school English teacher that happens to live in my apartment complex. So, I picked this up at the start of the ride home from the campground and finished it just as we got into town. It has an amazing narrator: that of the family dog. Yes, you will laugh and cry just like in "Marley and Me", but its amazingly beautiful and full of love.

But, remember, don't stay up too late reading! You still have to work tomorrow to make more money to buy more books!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home